Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 1. JOG to Helmsdale via Thurso. 78 miles

So finally we've actually started! We cycled down to JOG for some photos and then struck off. Gandhi wanted to take a detour through the Highlands so we headed for Thurso. Stopped at Tescos to buy some lunch and got a couple of people approach us and give us a tenner each as we were wearing our MND t-shirts. Out of Thurso and straight into a long steady climb. After around 10 miles we turned left and headed inland. Another steady climb and then down into a valley on a single track road. Beautiful scenery - just as you'd expect from the Highlands. A passing motorist pulled alongside and handed us 4 quid for the charity - God bless the Scots; a very generous bunch despite their reputation. Arrived in Helmsdale at around 5 and went straight to the local hotel for a beer. They had some vacancies so I promptly told the boys I was gettting a room. After calling me all kinds of names, the other guys headed down to the river to set up camp. Ignoring their poisonous barbs I had the best hot bath of my life and stuffed myself with sausage and mash followed by a phone call with my lovely missus. Life is good!

1 comment:

  1. fantastic that you're under way. Day one done, it's all downhill from here boys....

    Tim

    ReplyDelete